Friday, August 20, 2004

Tattered flag of pride

I dub the word of the day. Freakish. Today is the grand finals for my Public Speaking Finals. Nervous and jittery I found out I have restaurant service from 9 to 2. Came to college with a mess of clothes hangers and a jacket blocking a mirror I painfully made my way to serve dumb guests with cute plates. What the hey. Robert Lam (judge of the damn thing) is coming on my table.

Guest from another table peers curiously at me
" Arent you in the finals?"
I grin " Yeah. How did you know?"
" I saw you. Just wondering. They told us to tell you that you'd have to get ready by 1 am. Rehearsals and all that."
I froze. glance at watch. 1:15. Curses and waving of arms. After quick talking the teach I rush down to the basement where my car is parked. Concluding that going to the locker to change is going to take far too much time. I went to my car. Open door. Grabbed clothes. Tore mine off. I hear the hurried clicks of a pair of high heels. I just dont watch as I frantically get into my nicer jacket and clothes.

Rushed up. Ooh. Briefing. Not much. Relaxed in aircond. Then. The Speech competition started. Made friends with this girl called Farah. Nice person. I went out. Did my speech. More than a little pleased with myself. She blinks. Drags me " You.. have the same exact notes as mine?" We compared our notes.
" Holy damn"
" In the entire internet. You took the same journal I took for notes???"
. " Let me guess. Google?" laughs. She panics. Starts rewriting something. When she finished her speech she gets back.
"You're from main campus before this?" I asked
" yeah! A-levels" she chirps
I furrow my brows as I considered her. It would be possible. " You know JK?"
She widens her eyes " Yeah!! We were close friends"
" I... am not suprised. "
" kewl!"
She laughs " You have a double thumb!"
" Yeah... " and she starts looking and poking at it just like everyone else does.
" I have a double thumb too!" and shows me her hand with a really weird nipple looking flesh on her hand.
I recoil " Jeezuz! This is... oh my.." I am flabbergasted. By the coincedences. And it just looked gross.
" Looks like a nipple" I blurted wide eyed
" Feels like one", she laughs

Well. I cant remember the rest of the conversation but to put it short. I didnt win. I am disappointed. I thought it was good... (insert ranting and whining) Ah well. Another tick in the 'goddamn it could have been good' list.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home